Acorn Product Development
Global Plastics Engineering Practice
Learn about our approach to plastics engineering.
Put our experience to work for you.
With more than 400 products produced for leading consumer, industrial, robotics, data communications, and medical companies around the globe, our expertise in plastics engineering is extensive. We take product ideas from the back of a napkin to the manufacturing floor. Our deep expertise in plastics material, molding, forming, welding, and finishing— combined with our highly regarded approach to design for manufacturing—enables our clients to produce products that excel in performance and profitability.
We bring a global eye to product development.
With Acorn design centers in Silicon Valley, Atlanta, Boston, and China, we bring global resources to every project. From architecture to production, our engineers in the US and in China work directly with an extensive, vetted network of local suppliers and manufacturers on your behalf. This collaborative approach begins early in the development process, ensuring products can be manufactured efficiently.
Explore our plastics engineering services.
Companies around the globe rely on our plastics engineering expertise. Our team will take your product from inception through production, or we can lend our expertise at any phase of development.
Prototyping and manufacturing, from tens to millions
- Component, part, and system design
- Plastic materials selection
- Plastic component design to meet system-level requirements, such as thermal and structural specifications
- Tolerance analysis
- Critical feature analysis
Tooling sourcing, selection, and technical review
- Vendor sourcing and selection (tooling fabrication process and equipment capability)
- Match client requirements with tooling vendors and materials
- Tooling design review, including layout, cooling lines, and mold flow analysis
- Tool design approval before tooling is cut
- Tool fabrication management, including weekly status reports
- Support tool tryouts, first article inspections, and approval for production
Manufacturing issue analysis
- Root cause analysis
- Solution(s) development and trade-offs
- Corrective action planning and implementation
Molding vendor management
- Vendor sourcing and selection (molding process and equipment capability)
- Process set up, tuning, and control; tool and process approval for production
- Inspection (QA, QC); ongoing QC from pilot to manufacturing
Learn how we solve engineering challenges.
See how our plastics expertise was applied to a unique and challenging robotics project.
READ OUR ENGINEERING BRIEF
Rugged Robotics: Forging the Path from Prototype to Production
If you'd like to learn more, get in touch with us. We're happy to answer any questions you may have.