Engineering Process Consulting
Learn how to optimize your engineering design processes—in real time.
Our consulting philosophy is based on learning by doing.
With Acorn process consulting we work directly with you on a live development project and adapting our knowledge and experience to your existing culture and methodology, for immediately visible results. We don’t just help you design a better process for one product—we give you and your team the tools to successfully manage your product development from concept through production again and again.
Companies around the globe rely on our expertise. We can take your product from inception through production, or we can lend our expertise at any phase of development.
We take a holistic approach to process consulting.
Consulting tailored to your needs
- Establish and outline goals for the program—e.g., reduce development time, number of spins, faster transition to manufacturing, etc.
- Assessment of current drivers and identification of areas for improvement
- Plastic component design to meet system-level requirements, such as thermal and structural specifications
- Development of organization specific plan to improve product development
With you every step of the way
- We embed ourselves into your organization and processes to tailor our approach in each engagement in order to minimize disruptions and maximize impact
- Program planning and design reviews
- One on one discussions with engineering leads, managers, and line engineers on tasks such as vendor selection/qualification to transition to manufacturing
- Development of a plan to improve critical areas identified and bring your process development to the next level through design for manufacturability
Immediate measurable results
- Faster time to market
- Fewer design iterations
- Lower engineering costs through more efficient tooling and shorter development time
- Development of products that meet cost, performance, reliability, and manufacturability goals
- Reduced risk
Assessments to maximize effectiveness
Assessment is a key component of our engineering process consulting and achieving an individualized approach for your company to maximize effectiveness in product development. Our assessment will aim to evaluate and improve:
- Approval processes and gates
- Management's role
- Vendor, supplier, CM, management, and manufacturing transition processes
- Organization skill sets, both technical and non-technical, and their strengths and weaknesses
- Communication within engineering as well as with other groups
- Supplier/CM assessment processes
- Transition to manufacturing
Organization-specific plan to give your teams the tools required for future success
- Establish an executable plan and timeline
- Identifying and prioritizing areas to meet top goals
- Developing measurement criteria
Applying technology specific approaches, such as:
- Utilizing tolerance analysis more effectively, and providing hands on training for tolerance analysis
- Implementing more simulation and analysis prior to prototyping
- Using DFMA tools to understand and optimize assembly costs
Live Plan Implementation
The challenge for any organization seeking to improve is the implementation of change—we work with you to implement the recommended changes required (vs. just handing you a report with recommendations) to bring your development process to the next level and minimize disruption, including.
- Participation in design review meetings
- Working with engineering and operations on tasks such as vendor selection/qualification to transition to manufacturing
- Project planning/tracking
- Addressing design and manufacturability issues
Learn how we solve engineering challenges.
Our proven engineering processes are rooted in deep experience.
With over 20 years of experience developing over 400 products ranging from cutting edge one-offs to managing production volumes in the millions, we’ve learned a few things about product development. We have taken ideas from conception to production for leading consumer, medical, industrial, robotics, and telecommunication companies—and now you can leverage this broad experience, and access our worldwide engineering resources to help improve your engineering processes.
See how our process engineering expertise was applied to a project.
Rugged Robotics: Forging the Path from Prototype to Production
If you'd like to learn more, get in touch with us. We're happy to answer any questions you may have.